The things evolve different from manufacturer to manufacturer, and sometimes takes years between products to see some improvements of the original product. This is the case of the Raspberry Pi Foundation who release a new version of the Raspberry Pi B called Raspberry Pi B+ or Raspberry Pi 2.
This new version comes with hardware improvements, a small single board computer that incorporates small improvements but with high impact over the community.
The price is the same (under $50), the size is the same, it runs the same software, and still has the 512MB RAM. But they come with a list of improved features including more GPIO’s, more USB ports, HD video output at 1080P, connections for RPi camera and a touch screen display separately, and a few other features that I will explore below.
Model B+ New Features:
- 40pin – they increase the number of pins from 26 pins to 40 pins to enhance the real world projects;
- 4 x USB 2.0 – a double number of USB ports;
- streaming and watching videos in HD at 1080p;
- separate connection for Raspberry Pi camera and touch screen display;
- better audio with a dedicated low-power supply;
- a new version of the SD card socket;
- a lower power consumption due to replacing the linear regulators with switching regulators;
You can buy Raspberry Pi Model B+ from here.
The presentation of the RPi Model B+